"Large rocks of Red Sand or Pudding Stone on our left which we turn round, close
by 'the four tier of pulpits"
Thomas Bullock August 28, 1847
The formation on the left became known as pulpit rock but was taken out by the Union Pacific Railroad in the 1940's.
"It is a tradition among a good many people, that the 'Prophet of the Lord,' who
now presides over 'The Latter Day Saints,' in Salt Lake City, once preached to the
assembled multitude from this exalted eminence; but, while we dislike to spoil a story
that lends such a charm to the place, and clothes it with historic interest, nevertheless,
such is not true."
Henry T. Williams 1876