William H. Bedford Grave
William Bedford and his brothers left St. Joseph Missouri in 1852 on their journey to California. William had a bad case of tuberculosis. He took a turn for the worse and on July 4,1852 died at their camp at Copperas Springs. There he was buried and his grave has remained undisturbed for over one hundred years. It was only rediscovered in the spring of 1995. Even the headstone, which was hidden in tall sage, remains.
|The grave as it was when it was discovered. The rocks in the foreground were in the road and were driven over for several years before it was known that they were part of the grave.|
|The Bedford headstone as it was found. William died July 4, 1852|